Open Garden Wiedikon
- Lust, a somene project mitzwirke? Mir freued eus uf Mithelfer!
The project is about transforming the patch of lawn between Friesenbergstrasse, Talwiesenstrasse and Höfliweg into an urban oasis for people and nature. It consists of two main components which are mutually beneficial:
- the creation of an open, shared edible garden: raised beds (hochbeete), bushes with small fruits, perennial herbs and plants, edible flowers.
- the creation of a wildlife oasis for insects, birds and little animals by introducing a wide diversity of plants and by using permaculture to grow them.
- installing several raised beds (including one accessible for kids) - for people to plant annuals
- protecting the area through a little-animals friendly fence, with several entrances. This fence serves several purposes:
-- to grow plants which require supports (kiwi, clematis, honeysuckle, vine, ...)
-- to keep kids protected from the street
-- to prevent foxes and dogs from entering and degrading
- a small, open shed (~2 m2) to hold some shared and basic gardening tools
- installing water tanks to store the rain water collected from the roof of the shed
- installing hotels for insects, nests, water and food dispensers for birds, a house for hedgehogs
- planting several fruit-bearing bushes (gooseberry, blackcurrant, raspberries, ...) and perennial herbs and plants (mint, thyme, rosemary, rhubarb, ...)
- planting a mix of flowers and bushes supporting insects and birds
- installing signs with explanations about the project, the wildlife and permaculture
- installing a table with seating
In the garden everyone is equally welcome. Be it to just escape the busy city life for a few minutes or to participate, plant, garden and enjoy nature and - of course - the harvest!
- What added value does your idea offer for the climate & the environment or children & young people?
- - Reserve for insects and little animals
- “Educating” children in sustainable gardening
- Preserving wildlife
- Creating a recreational place
- Getting kids away from the computer and into nature
- Creating a location for biodiversity to thrive (plants, insects)
- I will implement the project myself (optionally together with other individuals). In January 2022 I am already of age.
- Here you can voluntarily publish more information about you / your group.
- We are a small group of people passionate for gardening, nature and DIY work, living and/or working in Wiedikon. We would be happy to welcome anyone interested in this project. ^^
- Where does your idea take place?
- In Alt-Wiedikon, in the patch of lawn between Friesenbergstrasse, Talwiesenstrasse and Höfliweg (https://map.geo.admin.ch/?lang=en&topic=ech&bgLayer=ch.swisstopo.pixelkarte-farbe&layers=ch.swisstopo.zeitreihen,ch.bfs.gebaeude_wohnungs_register,ch.bav.haltestellen-oev,ch.swisstopo.swisstlm3d-wanderwege,ch.astra.wanderland-sperrungen_umleitungen&layers_opacity=1,1,1,0.8,0.8&layers_visibility=false,false,false,false,false&layers_timestamp=18641231,,,,&E=2681008&N=1246925&zoom=12&crosshair=marker)
- Does your idea (partially) take place on public space?
- I do not know
- Planning: during winter and early spring
Main installation work: in spring
Opening party: late spring
There is no end to it, the garden will keep on living as long as it's being taken care of
- Total requested budget (in CHF):
- Budget breakdown
- Raised beds 1800
Fence and gates 2000
Water tanks 1000
Fruit bushes 200
Compost silo 400
Insect hotels 260
Bird nests 100
Opening party 150
Car rental 100
Resting area 300
- Remarks / Open Questions
- As recommended, we accounted for ~7% margin in the budget, but any money leftover from a overestimated cost will be redirected to more plants or more planting areas.
This idea has not been accepted for the vote, because:
Thank you for submitting this idea. We have reviewed it internally and have unfortunately come to the conclusion that we cannot allow this idea to be voted on. We are happy to forward the reasoning to you: "Unfortunately, no fills/high beds or excavations are allowed in the eaves of the trees, otherwise the trees will be permanently damaged."
List of Endorsements
Report inappropriate content
Is this content inappropriate?